Model/Texture/Animation Updates in CS:GO

Started by Nocturne, August 23, 2013, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nocturne

Hi guys, I stumbled across this tool yesterday in my angry search for some working tools for source, it's been so long since I've done it that nothing seems to really work anymore!

Anyway, thank you thank you for this tool! If I can get it to help me I'm becoming premium straight away!

I'm a professional 3D artist and used to make maps in and models for Source, but never compiled them, our programmer always did that so I never learned.

I was wondering if someone can give me a really quick and basic outline of replacing say the knife in CS:GO with a custom model using either new animations or the same, I can fill in the gaps there, because there's quite a lot to this tool but things seem a bit different for the new CS.

I have the models and textures already done etc, I'll just need to skin and rig which I know how to do but not sure if there's any Source specifics I don't know about.

If anyone can give me a quick step-by-step, that would be great!

Thanks guys!
Noc

wallworm

Welcome to Wall Worm!

I'll try to share some more insight later tonight or this weekend. The main thing is to make sure your model is skinned to bones named the same as they are used in game. Making sequences is straight forward as you animate the bones (or just nodes) and create named sequences in the Sequence Rollout of Wall Worm Model Tools. That page is probably a little out-of-date but should at least be helpful.

Nocturne

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

So, I have two knife replacement models, one is another knife, which I can use to see if I can just get something in-game, without having to make animations. And the other one is a baton which will need it's own anims.

So if I open the v_knife model and replace the knife with mine and export that out, even though there are no anims in the scene etc, will it just swap the models out and what-not because when I import the knife it doesn't appear skinned or rigged or parented to anything in any way?

Thanks again!
Noc

wallworm

What you want to do is make sure that the name of the knife model is identical to node 0 of the Reference SMD you imported. So if the root node is named Knife, make sure that the knife model is named Knife inside 3ds Max.

If you are reusing all the animations and activities for the model that is in game, you can just export that Knife node as a Reference SMD (Wall Worm > Wall Worm Exporters > SMD/VTA Exporter) to the same location of the original and reuse the original QC file for compiling (but you'll need to compile manually/old school for that route).

If doing it all from scratch, you'll want to use WWMT instead ( Wall Worm > Wall Worm Model Tools > Wall Worm Model Tools ). You can use the QCI button in WWMT to include the SMDs for the premade animations (you may want to copy the $sequence lines from the original QC in game for that weapon and paste them into the QCI file.).

PS. I am preparing to release a new update to Wall Worm that lets you add a bunch of new sequence controls like actions, weightlists and more.

wallworm

Did you get the model exported as you wanted?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk